Google has announced that they have started using HTTPS as a ranking signal. It means that websites that use secure, encrypted connections (SSL) will get a boost in search results.
In other words, the web sites using SSL certificates will be ranked higher in search results. We have noticed that change before coming across this article for our search engine keywords.
In summary, google will rank the sites with SSL certificate installed before the others if they have similar quality content.
Here is a part related to how to choose the right SSL from from their blog:
Here are some basic tips to get started:
- Decide the kind of certificate you need: single, multi-domain, or wildcard certificate
- Use 2048-bit key certificates
- Use relative URLs for resources that reside on the same secure domain
- Use protocol relative URLs for all other domains
- Check out our Site move article for more guidelines on how to change your website’s address
- Don’t block your HTTPS site from crawling using robots.txt
- Allow indexing of your pages by search engines where possible. Avoid the noindex robots meta tag.
Please read the full article to learn how you can switch to the URL with https and ranked higher;
Happy doing SSL conversion 🙂